Kneaders Bakery And Cafe, headquartered in Orem, Utah, is operated by Gary and Colleen Worthington. Having started in Utah, it has now spread its branches to 43 cities in the Western USA. Referred to as a “from-scratch bakery,” Kneaders’ menu has grown to encompass soups, salads, pastries, and sandwiches.
The only downside is that Kneaders does not have many vegan options. The pastries and soups have added dairy products, making them not the right choice for vegans like you. One thing which is 100% vegan is bread. Kneaders bread is made from scratch and is totally vegan. You can also customize your order to suit your specialized needs.
Scroll through to learn what all you can eat as a vegan at Kneaders.
Table of Contents
Vegan Options at Kneaders
Eating out as a vegan is not easy. Fortunately, we are here at your rescue. We provide nutrition guides for a restaurant to know what to eat before stepping into a food chain. Following are the vegan options at Kneaders!
Kneaders food chain began as a small restaurant with European-style bread. Fortunately, bread, which is the specialty at Kneaders, is freshly baked and 100% vegan. Most bread varieties, ciabatta, sourdough, focaccia, hazelnut, and whole-wheat, are vegan. You can dip the bread in olive oil or soup.
Don’t get the rye bread. It is coated with caramel coloring.
Following is the list of vegan bread:
- Hazelnut 12 Grain
- Cranberry Pistachio
- French Country
- Potato Rosemary
- Raisin Walnut
- Rustic Rye
- Seeded Baguette
- Honey Wheat
- Country White
- 100% Whole Wheat
When it comes to sandwiches, Kneaders does not have many options for a vegan. However, you can customize the sandwich by adding vegan toppings and fresh vegetables. Veggie Avocado Sandwich is the closest to a vegan sandwich. Get the cheese removed, and you are good to go.
Most of the shakes and smoothies contain milk. Thus, the No Dairy Berry smoothie is the only vegan smoothie option available at Kneaders.
Kneaders has a special kid’s menu for its young customers. The green Salad And Peanut Butter And Jam sandwich is an excellent vegan meal to satisfy your cravings.
For a vegan, unfortunately, there are minimal choices at Kneaders. One such item is a bowl of green salad on the kids’ menu.
Peanut Butter and Jam on Wheat
Peanut Butter And Jam On Wheat, commonly called the PB&J sandwich, is a healthy, nutritious meal full of fiber and protein. Having a total of 350 calories gives you enough fuel to make you feel full for a long time.
Amidst rolls, Petit Pain is the only choice. Petit Pain is a French roll recipe, free of any allergens or animal-based products. These croissants are deliciously cooked, crunchy on the outside, and soft on the inside. As a vegan, you must try this once.
Deli Salad-Fresh Fruit
Okay, so this is quite the healthiest meal on the list. Though not very innovative, a fresh fruit salad is the best way to start a healthy day. You can customize the salad and add seasonings for flavor as well.
Oatmeal is a healthy breakfast meal. It is a whole-grain food and also completely gluten-free. As a typical breakfast dish, it is boiled in milk or water. Also known as porridge, having oatmeal is a perfect start to a healthy day. Some varieties of oatmeal available that are totally vegan are:
- Steel Cut Oatmeal
- Steel Cut Oatmeal, Banana Walnut
- Steel Cut Oatmeal, Cranberry Coconut
- Steel Cut Oatmeal, Fresh Fruit
Apart from dishes, you can also find vegan salad dressings at Kneaders. So, now you can customize your salad by adding salad dressing. Following is the list of vegan salad dressings:
- Balsamic Vinaigrette: It is a dark-flavored vinegar initially produced in Italy.
- Poppy Seed: An oilseed made from the opium poppy, these make for great sandwich dressings.
- Raspberry Walnut Dressing: It is a refreshing delight that will add to the flavors of your salad.
- Sesame Ginger: With 0% allergens, this is the safest salad dressing for everyone.
- Diet Coke: Among beverages, diet coke is a fizzy companion that a vegan like you needs. It is a perfect refreshing drink, devoid of any milk products.
- Sprite: Sprite is another beverage that you can enjoy. This fizzy drink will undoubtedly freshen your day and complement your meals.
- Coffee: You can relish a hot coffee on a cold winter day. Hot Americano is the perfect choice for a vegan like you. It is completely devoid of milk or any milk products like cream. If this does not suit you, you can enjoy plain black coffee without cream.
- Tea: You can also enjoy the aromatic tea beverage. Tea is the most consumed drink in the world, second only to water. Make sure you order a tea variety devoid of milk. Black tea, green tea, and herbal tea are perfect relaxing drinks on a stressful day.
Other Sections of the Menu
As luck would have it, there isn’t any vegan soup at Kneaders. All the soups have milk as an added element. Check with your server if they can tweak the soup recipe for you.
There are numerous varieties of omelets available here. But you must pass this section, mate.
French Toasts and Pancakes
Unfortunately, none of the French toast on the menu is vegan. They all contain eggs and milk.
Frappes are not vegan.
Kneaders Bakery And Cafe are famous for their tasty pastries. But we regret to inform you that pastries are not available in the vegan form yet.
What to Avoid at Kneaders as a Vegan
As a vegan, you need to be very vigilant when it comes to choosing the right meal. We are saying this because Kneaders has minimal vegan food items. Many of these are complements to the main course and not the main dishes themselves.
In fact, only 10% of food items at Kneaders can be classified as vegan. Therefore, make sure you stick to the meals already recommended.
Other Restaurants With Vegan Dishes
Here’s a list of some other restaurants where vegan dishes are served:
- Plum Bistro in Seattle, WA.
- Plant Miami in Miami, FL.
- AVO in Nashville, TN.
- Au Lac in Los Angeles, CA.
- Elizabeth’s Gone Raw in Washington, DC.
- Bar Bombon in Philadelphia, PA.
- Bunna Cafe in New York, NY.
- Bistro Vonish in Austin, TX.
Now that you have the list of everything you can eat at Kneaders, here’s a quick guide that shall help you make your order the right way:
- Ask your server if they can twist the non-vegan items to suit your needs.
- Research yourself and check if you can cook up some variations. For instance, you can buy a veggie avocado sandwich and ask for the removal of cheese.
- When ordering tea or coffee, make sure you ask for the black variation, devoid of milk.
- Lastly, when in doubt, seek assistance from the restaurant employees. You will be able to get a clearer picture of what you can buy at Kneaders.
Unfortunately, there is very little for vegans at Kneaders. You cannot enjoy a full meal here because of its restrictive menu. However, you can enjoy some side snacks and drinks while accompanying your friends. The bread here is famous all around the world and is entirely vegan. Some vegan visitors relish only the bread and make frequent trips to the joint.
The bakery should add vegan ice cream, vegan pastries, and other vegan dishes. Further, meat or chicken-based sandwiches can be replaced by soy sandwiches for vegans.