What’s good at the beach? Great company, booze, delicious food, and catching lots of sunlight. But if that’s not possible for you at this time, Beach Hut Deli brings you that nostalgic beach vibe.
Imagine yourself having some drinks and a tasty sandwich at a beach-like spot with a friendly ambiance. Yes, I’m talking about Beach Hut Deli where you can sit and relax while enjoying your salad or nachos.
With Beach Hut Deli, you can feel as if you are right at the beach having an affair with your own sandy thoughts. The spot offers great food and drinks like you’re at the beach, but for vegans, is it possible to stay?
In this article, we will find it out. Does Beach Hut Deli offer something interesting for vegans like you? Let’s see!
Who Is Beach Hut Deli?
The then 19-year-old Troy Feist started Beach Hut Deli in 1981 in Granite Bay close to Folsom Lake in Northern California. Currently, they have more than 40 locations in the United States with most spots being franchised. They also provide catering services for those who are having a crowd.
Being a beach lover himself, Feist imagined a spot with a beach theme. Surfboards were made into tables with the surf and beach memorabilia decorating the entire delicatessen. They even named their dishes after beach terms such as The Sunburn, Shark Bite, The Hight Tide, among others.
Feist specialized in making his own sandwich filled with quality meat, cheese, and fresh produce, which is called Surfin’ Bird. According to him, the vibe they create is the way of life and culture. Apart from their famous sandwiches, Beach Hut Deli also offers salads, nachos, burgers, chips, beers, cocktails, wine, and more.
Beach Hut Deli Vegan Options
Fortunately, Beach Hut Deli is considerate to vegans and offers a few dishes that can be modified. Most of their dishes on the menu either include meat or dairy products, or a combination of both with veggies.
So in the event that you bump with Beach Hut Deli in one of their locations, you already have an idea about what to order. Take note that their menu varies in each location. What the other spot has may not be available in another deli. Let’s check what’s on their menu for vegans.
- Sandwiches. Although they mostly serve sandwiches with meat and cheese, the good news is, they have some specials to offer when it comes to plant-based sandwiches. Their classic sandwiches are also available in mustard, mayonnaise, dill pickles, tomatoes, lettuce, red onions, Greek peppers, and cheese.
- Cali Caprese. It’s packed with garlic sourdough cheese bread, pesto, balsamic dressing, jack cheese, tomato, and spinach. This is especially available at Beach Hut Deli Santa Cruz, California.
- California. This is loaded with avocado and any choice of cheese with mayo, pickles, tomatoes, onions, peppers, and spinach. You only have to make sure with them that the cheese with mayo is plant-based. Otherwise, you may ask for any vegan cream.
- La Jolla. Here’s another healthy, delectable sandwich at Beach Hut Deli that’s filled with avocado, blue cheese, and Balsamic vinaigrette, mayo, pickles, tomatoes, onions, and spinach, on toasted, sliced wheat bread. But you may have to ask about their blue cheese if it’s plant-based. PETA recommended these blue cheese brands for vegans. Otherwise, you can skip that and ask for another cheese replacement that’s vegan-friendly.
- Bread. Great news! They have available wraps for diners that are gluten-sensitive. The selection includes Wheat Roll, Sliced Garlic Cheese Bread, Sweet French Roll, Sliced Wheat, Gluten-Free Wraps, and Lettuce Wraps. Just make sure that they don’t contain dairy products such as eggs, milk, and butter during the baking process.
- Cheeses. Here’s another good news. Beach Hut Deli also offers cheeses that are vegan-friendly. You can have them as a replacement for some of their cheeses or cream that contain dairy products. They have Provolone, Cheddar, Monterey Jack, Swiss, Pepper Jack, and Cream Cheese.
- Salads. Beach Hut Deli prides itself in providing local fresh produce that they use for their dishes, including salads. They have different kinds of salads, but they mostly include heavy meat and dairy products. Super Salad is their only dish that can be served plant-based. Or you can have them too, but just skip the meat.
- Super Salad. Here’s a delicious combination of edamame, corn, quinoa, and bell pepper. It’s topped with onions, sliced avocado, tomatoes, and feta cheese, and served with a side of lemon garlic Italian dressing. Feta cheese isn’t vegan-friendly, but it’s either you ask for a plant-based replacement, or you skip it totally. It’s fine. This salad should be lit!
- Beach Munchies. These are great for starters, or even for snacks.
- Marley Nachos. Delicious tortilla chips topped with diced tomatoes, nacho cheese, red onions, Greek peppers, cream cheese, avocados, and fresh bacon bits. You can skip the bacon bits and cream cheese unless they have a vegan replacement for the latter. Nacho cheese is mostly made from cheddar and pepper jack cheese and is vegan-friendly. Just ask.
- The Beach Bites. Tasty garlic bread with melted provolone and parmesan cheese is definitely one for the books. It’s served with warm or chilled marinara sauce. While this can be non-vegan, you might want to ask about provolone and parmesan cheese since there are many plant-based brands these days. The same goes with marinara sauce as it can be made vegan-friendly.
- Pasta, Potato Salad, And Chips. These vary by location. So, you may have to ask first if any of them is available.
How Healthy Are Vegan Sandwiches?
With Beach Hut Deli offering vegan options for sandwiches and salads, we can’t avoid thinking about how healthy they are for you. As vegans, we know how important are the health benefits of what we consume.
Their avocado sandwich is to die for. Add the healthy pickles, tomatoes, onions, peppers, spinach with mayo and cheese, and you can’t just stop.
Sliced bread, in its simplest form, is made from flour, yeast, water, and salt. It contains fiber, folic acid, and is also low in fat. Bread made from whole wheat flour is even healthier, which helps maintain blood sugar and cholesterol levels.
Pickles are rich in vitamins A and K and are a great source of antioxidants. They also help fight free radicals that increase the risk of heart diseases and cancer. Tomatoes are also packed with the antioxidant lycopene, vitamins C and K, folate, and potassium. It helps maintain skin health, vision, is good for the bones, and more.
Onions are also antioxidants and have anti-inflammatory properties that help lower high blood pressure and fight against blood clots. Peppers are known for their low calories and are rich in vitamins A and C, folic acid, potassium, and fiber. Spinach is also great for the immune system and is a great source of vitamin E and magnesium that help fight against bad viruses and bacteria.
Vegan mayonnaise is also healthier than the ones that contain dairy. It’s cholesterol-free and with less saturated fats. Vegan cheese is free from carcinogenic animal proteins, no saturated animal fats, and no growth hormones, which is way healthier than those with animal byproducts.
Lastly, avocados are rich in vitamins, minerals, and healthy fats. They provide healthy brain functions and help fight against heart diseases and strokes. One of the healthiest avocado dishes is guacamole, which is popular as a dip, condiment, or a spread. You can also have some guacamole for your sandwich to make it healthier.
Best Seaside And Beach Restaurants
If you are into restaurants like Beach Hut Deli, you’re in luck! We have also collected some of the best spots in the U.S. with seaside or beach themes and views. These may not be the top spot for vegans, but they also have available dishes that you can ask to modify.
- Blue Moon Over Avila – Avila Beach, California
- Marker 88 – Islamorada, Florida
- M.C. Perkins Cove – Ogunquit, Maine
- 99 Sea Level – Bethany Beach, Delaware
- Tom Ham’s Lighthouse – San Diego, California
- La Mar by Gastón Acurio – Miami, Florida
- Victoria’s Restaurant – Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
- Geoffrey’s – Malibu, California
- Twenty-Eight Atlantic – East Harwich, Massachusetts
- Little River Inn – Mendocino, California
- The Chimneys – Gulfport, Mississippi
- The Gulf – Orange Beach, Alabama
- The Reef – St. Augustine, Florida
- Sam’s Ocean View – Kapaʻa, Hawaii
- COAST by Ocean House Resort – Watch Hill, Rhode Island
- Pacific Hideaway – Huntington Beach, California
- Dauphin’s – Mobile, Alabama
- A-J’s Dockside Restaurant – Tybee Island, Georgia
- Nepenthe – Big Sur, California
- The Tiller Restaurant – Cape Neddick, Maine
- Brown’s Beach House – Waimea, Hawaii
- Restaurant Beck – Depoe Bay, Oregon
- The Gulf – Fort Walton Beach, Florida
- Sierra Mar – Big Sur, California
- Seaside Restaurant and Aqua Farm – Hilo, Hawaii
- Schooner Restaurant & Lounge – Netarts, Oregon
- The Wayfarer Restaurant and Lounge – Cannon Beach, Oregon
- Ocean House Restaurant – Nantucket, Massachusetts
- Sea Level – Pass Christian, Mississippi
- The Marine Room – La Jolla, California
Beach Hut Deli may not be your top location when it comes to plant-based dishes, but they have vegan specials for you. Enough reason to stay a little longer while enjoying their beach-themed spot.
Just make sure that you verify your orders from them to avoid confusion about whether or not it’s vegan-friendly.