Breakfast, they say, is the most important meal. And if you’re vegan, you may have limited options, especially when you follow a strictly plant-based diet.
But sometimes, you just want to sit and eat without bothering yourself to prepare what you like. The answer would be a restaurant like Keke’s Breakfast Cafe, but do they have something for vegans?
At Keke’s Breakfast Cafe, you’ll be spoiled by their tasty dishes to start your day. Toasts, waffles, and pancakes are just among them. But it’s not just breakfast. They also offer lunch of which we can check to see if vegan-friendly options are available or even possible to modify.
If you are a breakfast person and a vegan, this page would be helpful for you to find interesting dishes at Keke’s Breakfast Cafe. We will also provide a comprehensive list of vegan breakfast options from other food chains and brands.
Keke’s Breakfast Cafe, Your Hometown Diner
Brothers Keith and Kevin Mahen started Keke’s Breakfast Cafe in 2006 in Orlando, Florida. They named the cafe from both of their names Ke for Keith and Ke for Kevin. From there, their spot became known for its Greek omelet and pancake combo for breakfast, and buffalo chicken wrap and cheesesteak panini for lunch.
The Mahens describe the guest experience at Keke’s Breakfast Cafe as good food, great energy, and friendly staff. They are dedicated to preparing breakfast meals, which delivers 93% of their revenue.
With over 50 locations in the U.S. through franchising, Keke’s Breakfast Cafe is rapidly growing since its inception in 2006. They ensure everything is fresh in their dishes from ingredients to fruits to vegetables. All of their food on the menu is made to order, which guarantees its freshness and quality. Both breakfast and lunch are made to remind you of what quality food should be.
Keke’s Breakfast Cafe Vegan Options
When a vegan breakfast is involved, one can imagine oats, potatoes, fruits, among others. But what about waffles or toasts? Why not? Keke’s Breakfast Cafe has them too.
Breakfast And Lunch Menu
- Waffles. This may contain eggs during the process, but it’s always worth asking. If they’re prepared without dairy products, then here are the vegan-friendly waffle options they have.
- Banana Nut Waffle. Baked with banana and pecans.
- Pecan Waffle. Tasty and healthy pecans baked in the waffle itself.
- Granola Crunch Waffle. It’s topped with banana, but you may have to ask if the granola crunch was prepared with honey to bind it. Sometimes, it’s vegan when vegan sweeteners such as corn syrup and rice syrup are used. Otherwise, you can skip this if it involves honey.
- Apple-Cinnamon Waffle. Here’s warm cinnamon topped with apple and sweetened with powdered sugar and cinnamon.
- Strawberry Waffle. Another flavorful waffle topped with fresh strawberries in glaze is definitely one for the books!
- Blueberry Waffle. The blueberry glaze is on the side that guarantees its quality taste!
- Banana, Nut & Caramel Waffle. The banana and pecans are baked together in the waffle and topped with more pecans, banana, powdered sugar, and caramel. But you may need to ask if the caramel is vegan-friendly. You can scratch it off if it’s not.
- Florida Waffle. Here’s a Keke’s Breakfast Cafe special. It’s topped with fresh strawberries, blueberries, bananas, and powdered sugar.
- Banana Split Waffle. It’s topped with pineapple, banana, fresh strawberries in glaze, chocolate fudge syrup & pecans. You will have to ask about the chocolate fudge syrup as it may not be vegan-friendly.
- Pancakes. It’s traditionally made with eggs and milk, but you can ask Keke’s Breakfast Cafe if their pancakes are vegan-friendly. If so, let’s move on to its different flavors that can be vegan.
- Banana Nut Pancakes. Both bananas and pecans are cooked together in the pancake.
- Pecan Pancakes. Even the pecans alone in the pancake sounds really tasty.
- Granola Crunch Pancakes. This one is topped with a banana. But once again, granola crunch is either vegan or non-vegan. You’ll have to ask about what was used to bind it.
- Blueberry Pancakes. Delicious blueberries cooked in the pancake sound good to me!
- Florida Pancakes. Here’s another Keke’s Breakfast Cafe special topped with banana, fresh strawberries, blueberries, and powdered sugar. You couldn’t ask for more!
- Create Your Own Combos. With this, you can choose and get a substitute for each dish with an additional fee of as low as $2.50. You can have either Small Breakfast Salad, a Fruit Cup, or Small Oatmeal. All these combos are served with your choice of Home Fries or Toast, or Two XL Eggs with at least one of these items such as Bacon, Sausage, Half Ham Steak, Home Fries, Tomato Slices, and Toast. Of course, meat and dairy are out of the equation for vegans.
- One Pancake or one French Toast.
- Two Pancakes or two French Toast.
- French Toast. At $8.99, you can have three thick slices of bread sprinkled with powdered sugar and cinnamon.
- Apple-Cinnamon French Toast. Topped with warm apple cinnamon, and powdered sugar.
- Banana, Nut & Caramel French Toast. Pecans, bananas, caramel, and powdered sugar are used for toppings. You only have to ask how the caramel was prepared to make sure it’s vegan-friendly.
- French Toast Topped with Fresh Fruit. Topped with powdered sugar, fresh strawberries, banana, and blueberries, this is definitely a favorite!
- Stuffed French Toast. Most of its flavors include cream cheese, which is either vegan or non-vegan depending on how it was prepared. Cheeses that are plant-based include gouda, cheddar, parmesan, and mozzarella. You may need to ask Keke’s Breakfast Cafe to see if the cream cheese is vegan-friendly. You can also create your own toast combo for an additional fee of $4.99.
- Blueberry Stuffed French Toast. Blueberry filling and cream cheese sound really delicious.
- Raspberry Stuffed French Toast. Raspberries and cream cheese are both kicking!
- Apple-Cinnamon Stuffed French Toast. Cinnamon apples and cream cheese together are just so good. It’s topped with powdered sugar and cinnamon, which is such a tasty combination!
- Piña Colada Stuffed French Toast. With pineapple, coconut, and cream cheese with powdered sugar topping.
- Turtle Stuffed French Toast. This includes caramel, pecans, chocolate, and cream cheese topped with powdered sugar. Remember to ask about the caramel as to how it was prepared.
- Banana, Nut & Caramel Stuffed French Toast. Pecans, banana, and cream cheese together with caramel and powdered sugar? No problem!
- Omelets. Unfortunately, most of its flavors include meat and dairy products. White American cheese, Athenos feta cheese, pepper jack cheese, and provolone cheese are present in all of their omelets although you can ask if one of them was made plant-based.
- Side Dish. Keke’s Breakfast Cafe also offers different kinds of non-meat side dishes such as a cup or bowl of fresh fruits like blueberry, strawberry, banana, grape, and orange. They also offer English Muffins, but this too may need verification from them to see how it was prepared. If it’s vegan-friendly, you can also get their Quaker Hot Oatmeal with sliced banana and English Muffin.
- Kid’s Breakfast. Most of their offerings for kids include meat and dairy products. But they have Strawberries & Banana, and French Toast Sticks with a side of syrup, which you can check if it’s vegan-friendly.
- Beverages. They have Fruit Juices, Hot Tea, Fruit Punch, Iced Tea, Lemonade, Coke, Sprite, Root Beer as well as Bottled Water. These are all vegan-friendly.
- Lunch Menu. Keke’s Breakfast Cafe offers different dishes for lunch, including Paninis, Sandwiches, Burgers, Wraps, and Salads. Unfortunately, there’s not a lot of vegan options on their lunch menu. Well, except the Garden Burger that is on toasted Ciabatta Bread with any of your chosen toppings such as lettuce, tomato, sauteed mushroom, sauteed onion, mustard, ketchup, jalapeño, green pepper, and pickle.
- You can also get their Vegetable Wrap, which is packed with romaine, and your choice of dressing and fresh vegetables.
- They also have a Garden Salad of which you can choose either Iceberg or Romaine with your choice of fresh vegetables and shredded cheddar cheese. This includes croutons, which are not vegan-friendly. You can skip it though.
- Their Salad Dressing Balsamic Vinaigrette is the only vegan-friendly in the group. Others are Ranch, which may include mayo, as well as Roasted Sesame, Caesar, Blue Cheese, and Honey Mustard.
- For their side dish on the lunch menu, they have French Fries, Sweet Potato Fries, Onion Rings, and a Fresh Fruit Cup.
It’s worthy to note that the listed dishes above are those that we find vegan-friendly that can be customized or modified. You still need to ask Keke’s Breakfast Cafe to ensure that you don’t accidentally eat their breakfast or lunch that involves meat and dairy products.
The Bottom Line
Keke’s Breakfast Cafe may be one of the finest restaurant chains in the U.S., but they’re not the typical vegan-friendly spot. However, they offer a few dishes that we have covered above where you can ask to be modified. Just make sure to pick those that contribute to your overall wellness as well as to veganism. After all, that’s our goal.
Most of all, eating in moderation still counts to a healthier, fuller life.