Answer: Yes, vegans can eat golden syrup.
To answer the question: “Can vegans eat golden syrup?”, The answer is yes.
To find out more about golden syrup, continue reading.
Table of Contents
More About Golden Syrup
Golden syrup is a thick and smooth amber-colored syrup, a blend of water, citric acid, sugar beet juice, or sugar cane. It is a delicious sugary treat that makes an excellent and popular substitute for honey.
You can use it anywhere you use honey, such as pancakes, waffles, ginger cakes, etc.
This golden syrup is 100% vegan; it contains not a single animal derivative. Therefore you can have fun incorporating it into any of your fun baking recipes or desserts. Thus this golden syrup makes an excellent plant-based substitute for honey.
You’ll also find dedicated brands that make a complete plant-based golden syrup, giving you many more options.
One of the top companies is Lyle’s, with its vegan-friendly golden syrup. It is a famous go-to brand for a lot of people. They make products that are entirely suitable for vegans. However, their chocolate-flavored syrup has skimmed milk powder and condensed milk. Thus, except for this one flavor, it has zero animal products. You can conveniently get your hands on them on Amazon.
Silver Spoon is another major brand based in the UK. It makes golden syrup for vegans to enjoy with no worries. But there are certain products they make that you must avoid because they may contain eggs. So it is always best to read the labels thoroughly before making any purchase. This company also ensures they don’t use bone char to process their standard sugars. Bone char is the charred animal bone used to process sugar, which becomes an issue with vegans.
Another company worth mentioning is Ragus, which is also UK based. The fact that the founder of this company Charles Eastwick is the man who invented and started the whole golden syrup shenanigan is pretty cool. Therefore, rest assured, Ragus knows how to create the best vegan-friendly golden syrup you can find.
Rayner’s Fairtrade golden syrup is 100% organic, and suitable for vegetarians and vegans. It has zero preservatives, no artificial flavorings, and is gluten-free.
Homemade Golden Syrup
When it comes to finding our vegan golden syrup in store here in the US, it might not be as abundant and easy as in the UK. Therefore, you can always save yourself the stress and create your very own golden syrup.
The ingredients you’ll need are-
- 800 g white sugar
- 600 ml of water
- ¾ fresh lemon
- Take a medium-sized saucepan and place the water, sugar, and lemon in it. Better if the saucepan is ceramic or stainless steel because it will evenly distribute the heat and prevent sugar burning.
- Cook the mixture on medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Once it dissolves, allow it to simmer in low heat for about 1 hour and 30 minutes without stirring. As you cook, you will notice that the mixture’s color will slowly change to amber, almost like honey.
- Make sure that the consistency of the mixture is slightly runny and not as thick as honey. Because once it cools down, it will thicken further.
- Transfer the mixture to a glass jar and let it cool down completely before sealing the lid.
- It is best to leave the syrup to mature for about two weeks before you start consuming them. This part is essential because the consistency gets thicker, and the flavor interestingly gets better as it sits longer.
There you have it. Your vegan golden syrup is finally ready.
It also has a decent shelf life. You can store this syrup for up to 6 months at room temperature.
So, yes, vegans can eat golden syrup because it is 100% vegan. The manufacturers that make vegan golden syrup make sure that their products are entirely vegan-friendly.
And what is even more fun is that you can conveniently have your very own homemade golden syrup, which is quite easy and quick to make.