Answer: No. Dream Whip contains some ingredients sourced from animal products.
Hey, vegan folks! How many recipes have you rejected so far because nothing could qualify your vegan substitute for mayo? From shawarmas and burgers to sauces and dips, it has taken over the world of food. But let’s not forget that the world is evolving, and the vegan industry is some serious business now. It is growing exponentially.
Many companies have jumped on the bandwagon and are coming up with their very own range of vegan products like vegan spreads, mayo, crackers, and much more. Earth Balance Company is an old friend in this regard, and its popular range of Mindful Mayo and spreads is vouched by many.
Vegan Vs. Non-Vegan Ingredients
Vegan Ingredients (Plant-Derived) Include:
- Fruits (apples,bananas,blueberries.kiwis etc.)
- Dried fruits (dried apricots, dates, dried figs, etc.)
- Vegetables (broccoli, sprouts, bell peppers, etc.)
- Grains (brown rice, quinoa, bulgur, etc.)
- Seeds (chia seed, flax seeds)
- Nuts (almonds, cashews, chestnuts, etc.)
- Beans and pulses (black beans, kidney beans, etc.)
- Plant-based proteins (peas)
- Tofu (bean curd)
- Tahini (roasted sesame seeds paste)
- Plant-based oils ( coconut oil, olive oil, avocado oil, sunflower oil, etc.)
- Plant-based milk (almond milk, coconut milk, oat milk, rice milk, etc.)
Animal-Derived Ingredients Include:
- Animal meat
- Fish meat
- Minced meat
- Soy sauce
However, it’s not limited to the above ingredients only. It also depends on one’s definition of veganism, so research in this regard is essential.
What Is Vegan Mayo?
Unlike the regular mayo made by emulsifying a raw egg with oil, in vegan mayo, the egg is substituted with vegan ingredients (mainly plant-based proteins), for example, peas. The plant-based proteins are used mainly to give a creamy texture to the vegan mayo.
The vegan mayo is egg-free, which makes it also suitable for people with egg allergies. Vegan mayo is popularly called ‘vegenaise.’
How To Choose A Vegan Brand
When it comes to choosing the right brand for any vegan products, one must keep in mind a few things.
The labeling and the ingredients list are the first things you need to pay the most attention to; therefore, familiarising yourself with the ingredients and terms is necessary. First and foremost, the brand must be a certified one with a logo or a sticker. It must not contain any animal or animal-based products. It should not have any dairy products as well. You must research the brand on Google and ask around on various social media groups or the people around you and consider their reviews.
Why Is Earth Balance Mindful Mayo Considered Vegan?
Taking the points above into consideration, The Earth Balance Mindful Mayo is considered vegan. Some of the reasons are:
Certifications: It is non-GMO verified. Their website claims that their spreads are certified to the RSPO Mass Balance Certification System and are Ethically Plant-Made.
Vegan Ingredients: Earth Balance Mindful Mayo is made up of plant-based proteins (vegan ingredients).
Moreover, it is:
- Does not contain any animal or animal-based products
A General Description
Earth Balance, a vegan food company, was founded in 1998 with the sole purpose of manufacturing non-GMO, fat-free, plant-based vegan products that are both high quality, vegan, and environment friendly.
The company is founded in Boulder, Colorado, and provides a wide variety of vegan products like vegan mayo, vegan spreads, vegan nut butter, etc.
One of their products that got the attention of the people was their expeller-pressed Original Buttery Spread. This brought in new flavors, and vegans still love substitutes for the vegan community and their products. Their vegan products are listed below:
- Pressed Sunflower Oil Spread
- Pressed Extra Virgin Olive Oil Spread
- Pressed Avocado Oil Spread
- Soy Free Buttery Spread
- Organic Whipped Buttery Spread
- Olive Oil Buttery Spread
- Omega-3 Buttery Spread
- Organic Coconut Spread
- European Style Spread
- Original Buttery Spread
- Soy Free Buttery Sticks
- Vegan Buttery Sticks
- Crunchy Peanut
- Creamy Peanut
- Creamy Coconut & Peanut Spread
- Crunchy Coconut & Peanut Spread
- Original Mindful Mayo Dressing & Sandwich Spread
- Olive Oil Mindful Mayo Dressing & Sandwich Spread
- Vegan Aged White Cheddar Flavor Puffs
- Vegan Cheddar Flavor Squares
One of the main reasons why Earth Balance Mindful Mayo is given preference over other vegan mayo brands is its nutritional value. The sodium content is relatively less compared to other big brands. Not only is this mayo 100% plant-based, but it is also free of any preservatives. Here’s what it says on the back of the label:
Earth Balance Mindful Mayo Variations
The Earth Balance Mindful Mayo comes in two variations:
- Earth Balance Mindful Mayo Original – made100% plant-based, vegan, dairy-free, egg-free, and soy-free with no added preservatives.
- Earth Balance Mindful Mayo Olive Oil – This version is made up of olive oil and is used mainly in salad dressing and sandwich spread. It’s vegan,egg-free,soy-free, gluten-free, and dairy-free.
What To Watch Out For When Using Earth Balance Mindful Mayo?
Most people believe that vegans should not consume palm oil used in vegan products as it is a controversial and contentious issue. There is an ongoing debate on its vegan status.
- Why is palm oil considered vegan?
Palm oil is considered vegan by some because it is a plant-based oil. It is extracted from the fruit of oil palms. Some people say that if the oil comes from a sustainable farm, it is vegan.
- Why is palm oil considered non-vegan?
Some people are of the view that palm oil production harms animals. Its production leads to habitat loss, soil contamination, and silting of rivers, affecting the environment.
The main crux of the above discussion is that palm oil is vegan in its raw form but where the difference of opinion comes from is its origin, its consumption, and its effect on the environment. Therefore the strict vegans should watch out for palm oil in the ingredients if they’re of the second opinion.
Other Alternatives For Vegan Mayo
So if you are a vegan and don’t want to stick to a particular brand and are open to new flavors and want to try different brands, here are some alternatives for you :
- Follow Your Heart Original Vegenaise – an egg-free, non-GMO product. Follow your Heart is also a plant-based food association, and their vegenaise is loved by many. They have a wide range of products like vegenaise, vegan cheese, cream cheese & sour cream, salad dressings, and even dairy-free yogurts. This is the best alternative for vegan mayo. Their vegenaise come in the following flavors:
- Original Vegenaise
- Soy-Free Vegenaise
- Organic Vegenaise
- Organic Garlic Aioli Vegenaise
- Reduced-Fat Vegenaise
- Grapeseed Oil Vegenaise
- Sriracha Vegenaise
- Roasted Garlic Vegenaise
- Pesto Vegenaise
- Chipotle Vegenaise
- Horseradish Sauce Vegenaise
- Tartar Sauce Vegenaise
- Sir Kensington’s Fabanaise – a non-GMO vegan mayo. It is kosher certified and non-GMO. Its sodium content is 95mg per serving. Since it’s gluten-free and is made with sunflower oil and aquafaba, this might be your second best option.
- Just Mayo – an egg-free non-GMO, and certified kosher product. It is a good option because it’s soy and gluten-free. However, its sodium content is 75gm/serving, while Earth Balance Mindful Mayo is 70mg.
- Hellmann’s Vegan Spread – The company approves that it is a certified product for vegans and is made with non-GMO sourced ingredients. However, its sodium content is 120mg/per serving, which is relatively high compared to the rest on the list. So if you’re watching out for sodium, this might not be your favorite product.
How To Order?
The Earth balance Mindful Mayo can be easily ordered through Amazon.
Almost all of its ranges are available on the site. The Earth Balance Mindful Mayo (Original) and The Earth Balance Mindful Mayo (Olive) has a good review.
Since the Earth Balance Mindful Mayo isn’t available in many cities, Amazon is the best option, and you might also get some products in bulk for a discounted price.
Now that you have a wide variety of vegan mayo to choose from, you can experiment and try out as many recipes as possible. Based on your definition of veganism, you are free to choose whatever product suits you the best. And not to forget to better familiarise yourself with the labels and ingredients.
And now that the vegan community and the industry is growing exponentially and more and more people are going plant-based, we might be introduced to some epic revolutionizing vegan products in the future. That means we won’t be limited to a few brands and products then, which is like the ultimate dream of a vegan, and we all can surely relate.